Tuesday, October 26, 2010


Dear Friends:

In September, after 16 months, I was relieved of my extensive role on Disney's "Tangled". Before we wrapped, I had the surreal opportunity to be on the orchestra sound stage with Composer Alan Menken and witness him score the film (it's a musical).

Scheduled to release nationwide on November 24, "Tangled" will be my third theatrical feature film in three years. However, Walt Disney Animation Studio's next CG feature is not slated until the spring 2013, which raises a lot of career questions.

Additional milestones included graduating UCLA Extension with a Certificate in Project Management (earned with distinction), our basketball team's undefeated summer season in winning the Burbank Men's Open Basketball League championship, and finally assembling my mac mini home theater PC (running plex from an unraid server).

Some new territory explored included wine tasting in Temecula, summer concerts at the Hollywood Bowl, show taping at Warner Brothers, and 11 days as a juror on an LA county murder trial with Christopher Darden. Although familiar territory, equally entertaining trips included San Diego for Memorial Day and ComicCon, Newport Beach for Fourth of July, Dodger Stadium's all-you-can-eat pavilion, and my birthday riot at California Adventure's new nighttime spectacular World of Color.

For the remainder of the year, I'll be working on (Northern California based) ImageMovers Digital's motion capture feature "Mars Needs Moms" through a remote crew at Disney Animation (Burbank, CA) - and yes, unfortunately everyone I work with now is a continual reminder of the Phillies NLCS loss to the Giants. "Moms" is scheduled for released next March 2011.

As for this winter, I will be taking a few weeks for an adventurous trip hiking, kayaking, biking and exploring New Zealand's South Island. Feeling well versed in the routines of living in LA and demands of the Mouse House, I consider an international escape down under with the Kiwis my self rehabilitation.

Hope your holidays include a chance to get "Tangled" with family and friends.

Gidday!
-Mike

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm very happy that you are doing so well Huanger...and I'm jealous that you are getting to visit the Kiwis. And that whip looks siiiiick!!! HRS

Unknown said...

Mike HUANG! its always a delight to get these emails every april and october...like clockwork. I'm glad you're doing well!!!

Catherine said...

Thanks for the update Mike! Hope you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

You are entirely too cool for words...

Enjoy the trip, you deserve it Mike.